Old March 17th 07, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dr Ivan D. Reid Dr Ivan D. Reid is offline

Default Tree lights

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:52:01 -0000,
John Rowland
wrote in :

The other night I was standing in a road which had trees on both sides every
twenty metres or so, and also had lampposts at a similar sort of spacing. It
occurred to me that they could have hung the lamps from the trees, and so
not needed the poles, and the street would have looked a lot better. Is
there a reason this isn't done?

Possibly that trees tend to grow, which might put a strain on
fixed wiring or lead to branches obscuring the light.

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN