Old March 18th 07, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
TimB TimB is offline

Default North London Line Revisited

On Mar 17, 7:26 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

I believe the issue with the gauge is not one of width, but rather of
height - the shipping industry of moving from standard containers with a
height of 8'6" to the 'high cube' type with a height of 9'6". Standard
containers will go through the W8 gauge, but high cubes won't; i *think*
high cubes will fit in W9 gauge, but don't quote me on that - it rather
depends on how high the bed of the wagon is.

So, if by 'widening', you meant 'increasing the height', fine. But i wish
you'd said so in the first place!

Yup, ok - horizontal and vertical 'widening' - my fault!