Old March 20th 07, 11:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Asfordby to be used to test air conditioned tube trains

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
"Roland Perry" wrote in message

I hadn't realised that the main-line TOCs (as opposed to London
Underground) no longer used Old Dalby, as the report implies by the talk
of saving the line from closure by the decision to test LU trains there.
I'd assumed that Old Dalby would still be used for testing main line
trains - and now, additionally, LU trains. If main-line trains are no
longer tested there, then where are they tested?

There are trains being tested in the Czech Republic - the part of RP's

Oh so it's yet another thing that's being done overseas? Is there
*anything* that we can do in this country without having to do it
overseas?

All the recent EMU/DMU orders have been delivered through the tunnel, having
been tested on Siemens' test track, although the SWT Desiros all went
through a limited test on the Bournemouth-Weymouth line as well prior to
entry into service. If any further orders for whole trains rather than
extra carriages for existing (Voyagers, Pendolinos, 185s etc) require pre
delivery testing, it will depend on where they are built, I suppose. I
believe the only sizeable order in the pipeline is for Bombardier
Electrostars for the NLL and ELL - its possible these don't need a test
track as such, as they are effectively follow on orders of existing types in
use in the Southeastern area.

Having said all that, was Asfordby fitted with third rail at all? At least
the short section of LU electrification being fitted might be adaptable for
third rail testing, and apparently Metronet have decided to retain the
OHLE...

Paul