Old March 20th 07, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default North London Line Revisited

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Adrian wrote:

On Mar 18, 8:27 am, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article .com,

(TimB) wrote:
On Mar 16, 10:20 pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
plus some!

Not really - Ipswich-Peterborough would do (widening and
electrification, please).

Part of the problem is the number of larger containers that are
currently only passed for the route via the NLL. IIRC Hutchinson
Ports have already offered to contribute towards gauge enhancements
on the Ipswich to Peterborough route, to allow trains to run that
way.

Which is what I meant by widening. The sooner the better!

You going to pay the cost of double tracking from Soham to Ely?

Also, some people here seem to be overlooking that some freight actually
originates and terminates in London!

It certainly does. However, my guess is that the major part by for is
destined for points north of the freight arc I have described elsewhere.

Da.

We really need some statistics on the origin and destination of freight
flows within the UK. Does anyone utilizing these groups have such?

I'm pretty sure i've seen detailed numbers in a RUS of some sort - you
might like to have a poke about on the SRA or DfT websites and see if you
can turn one up. The maps in this:

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pdf/symondsnera.pdf

Are rather good, though. See also (for London):

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/..._3_30-6-06.pdf
http://www.riig.org/press-release-vi...ng-london.html

tom

--