Old October 21st 03, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Weaver Paul Weaver is offline

Default Busses

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:41:48 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:
Having informed the office and managed
expectations the alternative journey is less stressful because people
know I'm trying to get in but will be late.

Of course the poor bloke at the end of the 12 hour shift that has to stay
on to cover you wont be very happy

Solution

1) Ban smelly people with things living in their hair

I'm assuming you aren't being serious.

Well perhaps a little bit.

2) Each bus should have a route map like on the tube, so you can see
where you've been, where you are, and where you're going, complete with
interchanges onto the much superior underground and national rail

Do you just mean the route that you are on at the time or more something
akin to the local bus network.

Both, like the tube has the line plan and a central London plan.

train! My personal recommendation is to deliberately vary your trip and
use the buses just to get familiar with where they run etc.

Aside from this morning, last time I used a bus was from Sloane Square
over Battersea Bridge when I was B&B'ing for a couple of nights. Got on
the right bus, but in the wrong direction and ended up in shepherds bush
or something!

Busses are so slow it's depressing though.

I know it sounds a bit daft but I only really began to fit London
together as a City when I forced myself to use buses between places
instead of always using the Tube.

I dont care much about London as a city, I know where I live, where the
pizza place/pub/chippie/asda is, where I work, and where the nearest
shopping center to work is. Anything else is boring. London is not a nice
place to live, I don't wish to know it.

3) There should be announcments for each stop (whether the bus

stops
there or not)

Mixed view on that one. I dislike a lot of recorded messages about "door
closing" etc on buses. It could also get very annoying for the bus
driver listening to it all day while trying to drive his or her bus. I

Aww, well poor them. OK They dont get the £30k+ that tube drivers get,
but they stil get paid to do a job. Do you really think that people dont
get tired of selling the evening standard? Perhaps an LED screen saying
the next stop would do.