Old March 22nd 07, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default North London Line Revisited

In article . com,
(Adrian) wrote:

Well in this instance I am talking about trains, specifically
freight trains. If we are discussing Felixstowe to the midlands and
north trains running by way of the North London Line, they are 1.

Taking
paths that could very usefully be utilized by a more intense passenger
service.

[snip]

Where these freight workings unavoidable I would consider this
situation acceptable. As it is these workings need to be routed
outside of the metropolis. As I understand it, the Ipswich to
Nuneaton route is being upgraded with this in mind.

They are using a wholly electrified route and will have to switch to
diesels if they get gauge enhancement via Ipswich-Nuneaton. There are a
number of advantages in electric traction.

There is no doubt in my mind that running only three-car passenger trains
on that route is the approach that is casual with precious capacity.

--
Colin Rosenstiel