Old March 27th 07, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default North London Line Revisited

On Mar 27, 1:33 am, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
MIG wrote.
On Mar 26, 9:09 pm, Olof Lagerkvist wrote

I think you are missing the situation where paper travelcards are
combined with Oyster PAYG. Say for example that you have a National

Rail
season ticket from a station outside the zones that includes a Z2-6
travelcard. If you one day want to travel into zone 1 using LU

services
it is not practically possible to combine it with Oyster PAYG.

If the season is on Oyster AND the out of zone travel on NR is on one
of the few 'valid for Oyster PAYG' routes this surely works now ?
Otherwise you have to buy a paper ticket to cover the out of zone
travel on NR or get off in Z2 and transfer to LU which is precisely
"travel into zone 1 using LU".

Thank you, that is exactly the kind of situation I find myself in
repeatedly, living near an NR station, in the opposite direction from
an Oyster stop, with a paper zone 1 and 2 travelcard, and

occasionally
having to go to Canning Town, which requires getting off at North
Greenwich, going up the escalator, touching in and waiting for a

later
train (or else paying £4 for a paper extension).

Getting the travelcard (if it's a weekly or longer season) on Oyster
fixes this, leaving only buying a ODTC and getting an unexpected call
to go to Canning Town during the day.

But that still leaves either having to leave home in the wrong
direction, go to the Oyster stop and then go back past home to the
station (not likely on a work day) or getting back before the shop
closes the evening before, going past home to the shop and going back
again etc etc.

Whatever happens, I am significantly inconvenienced or overcharged for
reasons beyond my control. Pads in trains would fix this, but there
would be a cost.

The sale of reasonably-priced extension tickets to holders of paper
travelcards would be a good compromise that wouldn't involve
installing anything.