Old March 27th 07, 11:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default 0207 222 1234

On Mar 27, 4:40 pm, "Richard J." wrote:
Exchange wrote:
"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message ,
writes
They must have a lot of people working on that the travel
information line I
always seem to get straight through. Apart from the day when
there was loads
of snow

ITYM 020 7222 1234

We've never had 0207 numbers in London - they were in the
Consett/Stanley area in the North East. Try dialling 222 1234
locally and see what happens.

Well you've got that very wrong, I live in Lambeth and MY number
is 0207.

You would think that someone calling himself "Exchange" would be more
knowledgeable about such things. ALL numbers in London have an area
code of 020 followed by a 4-digit exchange code (which currently begins
with 3, 7 or 8) followed by a 4-digit number. I'm amazed that this
still needs to be explained to people 9 years after the 020 code was
introduced.
--
Richard J.
(to e-mail me, swap uk and yon in address)- Hide quoted text -

Indeed. Ignorance has gone to seed.

Some people seem to think that my number starts '00' the international
access code. In point of fact it starts 9200 and is in the STD code
023 but said folks insist that the dialling code is 02392!

Adrian