Old March 28th 07, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default 0207 222 1234

Exchange wrote:
"Henry" wrote in message

On 28-Mar-2007, "Exchange"
wrote:

ITYM 020 7222 1234

We've never had 0207 numbers in London - they were in the
Consett/Stanley area in the North East. Try dialling 222
1234 locally and see what happens.

Well you've got that very wrong, I live in Lambeth and MY number
is 0207.

Go to here, and search for 0207:
http://tinyurl.com/354p6p
"Sorry, there was no match for 0207. Please try again."
How come?

http://tinyurl.com/2q87fa
Type: 020
London has two codes 0207 and 0208

NO! From the OFCOM site's FAQ:

"Q: Since when has the London Code been 020? Aren’t there two London
codes – 0207 and 0208?

A: There has only been one area code for London (020) since April 2000.
In 1997, following public consultation, Oftel announced that 020 would
become the code for Greater London with effect from April 2000,
following 2 years of parallel running with 0171 and 0181 (ie, between
1998 and 2000).

With the adoption of 020, Greater London moved from having 7-digit local
numbers to having 8-digit local numbers. ‘8’ or ‘7’ became the first
digit of the local number, depending on whether the number had
previously been Inner (0171) or Outer (0181) London."

Just one example of a London 0207 number being St Thomas's
hospital on South side of Westminster bridge opposite House of
Parliament:
http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/vi...lstthomas.aspx

"Tel: 020 7188 7188"

And this is one example of a London 0208 number
scroll down to Tottenham
http://www.powerleague.co.uk/location.asp

Yes, they're ignorant too.

--