Old March 28th 07, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default 0207 222 1234

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
Fig typed

I understand, although I think your reasoning is out of date. Surely now,
the code for London is 020 and no inference can be made at all about the
next 4 digits. Numbers connected to a given exchange in London will be 8
digits long and the only thing connecting them is that they will start
with either 3,7or8?

True but many numbers give big clues to their geographical location.

I certainly like to know if a call is from 7PAD dington, 8HAR row or
8COL indale

If as others have said, numbers throughout the 020 area are 'virtual' can
these numbers be retained by someone moving elsewhere in the London area,
and as numbers are recycled, will 3,7 and 8 appear everywhere?

Paul