Old March 28th 07, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default North London Line Revisited

On Mar 28, 11:32 am, "John B" wrote:
On Mar 27, 10:18 am, "MIG" wrote:

Getting the travelcard (if it's a weekly or longer season) on Oyster
fixes this, leaving only buying a ODTC and getting an unexpected call
to go to Canning Town during the day.

But that still leaves either having to leave home in the wrong
direction, go to the Oyster stop and then go back past home to the
station (not likely on a work day) or getting back before the shop
closes the evening before, going past home to the shop and going back
again etc etc.

Are you saying that neither your normal origin nor normal destination
station has an Oyster-enabled ticket office or ticket machine?

If not, I don't understand your problem: the effort involved is
exactly the same as that involved in renewing a paper Travelcard.

If so, then a) I'm amazed and b) surely the problem is just the local
TOC's ineptitude (and it is just inepitude: FCC have no problems
dealing with Oyster products, at least at KXTL and Finsbury Park)

Although I often use LU, particularly at weekends, my most regular
journeys involve SET and SWT. At one end there is now a card-only
Oyster machine. I have used this when my debit card will stand it.

At the other end there is no such machine. At neither end can the
ticket counters deal with Oyster.

However, I often have cash in my pocket and nothing in the bank.
Also, I hope to go back soon to paying by company cheque (loan), which
is no use at either the card-only machine or the shop.

Diverting via an LU ticket office might be a possibility, but this is
still a significant loss of convenience.

I am still punished if I buy the only ticket product available at the
ticket office at my local station (or my destination station). Why
should I have to plan diversions to renew before expiry to get round
this?

The draconian imposition of £4 extensions is completely unfair while
Oyster is not fully available, as I keep saying.