Old March 28th 07, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default 0207 222 1234

In message , Graham J
writes
Nope, it's an 020 number.

Well done on generating about 30 responses from such a simple remark.

Thanks also for showing that it isn't just me that gets irritated by it.

Mayday University Hospital still sends out appointment letters with an 0181
number appearing on them so I suppose that is even worse than it would be if
they used 0208.

No doubt they will just change the 0181 to 0208 on the replacement batch
of letters they order, and perpetuate the confusion :s

I really can't understand why this has all become so confusing.
Everybody who rings numbers locally in London can just dial the last 8
digits of the 'full' number, so it should be obvious that the dialling
code is 020 from that. I suppose with the advent of mobile phones,
people are more and more used to dialling the full number wherever they
are - I know I frequently do.