Old March 29th 07, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 0207 222 1234

In article ,
(thoss) wrote:

I really can't understand why this has all become so confusing.

I can. It's because the London numbers changed from 071 and 081 to
0171 and 0181 at the time they introduced area codes starting 01. Had
they gone straight to 020 at that time, much of the confusion would
never have happened.

They couldn't because it would have caused too much confusion nationally.
There had to be a gap in which 0207 and 0208 (and others) were not valid.

--
Colin Rosenstiel