Old October 22nd 03, 01:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Weaver Paul Weaver is offline

Default Busses

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:17:26 -0700, Kat wrote:
Ok...
Can you give me an example; are they useful names to anyone who might not
know the area? I'm thinking of bus routes outside central London.

Irrelevant, when you look out of the window and see a stop sign, you
should be able to match it up with a map of the route, and a map of the
bus network

Personally I don't use the buses because they don't tell me where I am or
where I'm going to. Obviously a handy underground-style map is
near-impossible to print out in detail (although perhaps a small book
might work?), however some information about the route, the connecting
routes, and especially the underground/NR stations, would make a lot more
people use the buses IMHO

Times on the routes would be good too - time from each stop to the next
one like many underground stations. Obviously that's hard because of the
variable traffic situation, however banning cars from inside the M25 area
(free parking at key points outside the M25 to compensate), with
exceptions for exceptional circumstances like house movements, would solve
that. London has (should have) a good enough public transit to cope,
unlike most UK towns and cities.