Old April 1st 07, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
[email protected] kevallsop@holdthefrontpage.co.uk is offline

Default London Bridge signals question

On 1 Apr, 13:11, "Jonathan Morton"

That's interesting. I'd always assumed that the name came from the fact that
the usual shape of the display (rectangular, and shaded) looked vaguely like
a stage as it appears in theatre when the house lights are down - I always
wanted the ones at Waterloo to have curtains which would dramatically part
to reveal... "ta-da...MT" or whatever.

I thought it was something to do with the etymology of 'theatre',
which is from the Greek "to behold". We live and learn...

On the subject of theatre type indicators, was there anywhere else,
other than Liverpool Street, that used them with non-alphanumeric
indications? At the ends of the Liverpool Street platforms they used
to display a horizontal line of lights, each light representing a
route from left to right, with a light above and below the route set.
So you had a single horizontal line of lights, except for the set
route which had a vertical line of three.