Old October 22nd 03, 06:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Brompton Folding Bike on Tubes

"Tom Sutch" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:40:20 +0100, Tim wrote:

Could anyone tell me whether it's OK to take a Brompton (folded) on tube
trains, including at peak times?

Yes, it's officially allowed. However, when doing so I have had some

stick
from LU staff, including one guy at Paddington (Bakerloo) I think, who

said
on the PA system when I was quite legitimately boarding a train with a
folded Brompton "Could the man who has just boarded the southbound service
get out at the next station as bicycles are not permitted on the Bakerloo
line". Needless to say, I didn't.

Be confident, know that you are right, and if that doesn't work just put

it
in a bag before entering the network. It's then just luggage and there

are
no rules (save common sense) about that.

There are quite specific rules about luggage and what can be taken on the
underground.
Take a look at:
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/about/COC.pdf
Section 11

You can also look at the Conditions of Carriage booklet issued to all staff
and IIRC ,COC are also shown in the Fares and Tickets booklet.

--
Kat in Downtown Toronto