Old April 3rd 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Southern's 13 Power Box Scheme

In message .com
"D7666" wrote:

On Apr 3, 2:11 am, "MaxB" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...I know the SR had a plan in the 70's to have 13 PSB's for the whole
region can anyone shed some light, plan did not happen as such.

I don't know if it was ever finished, but London Bridge, Victoria (Clapham
Jn) and Ashford were all part of it.

I agree it certainly started but was not finished.

The Central Division (mainly) boxes LB, VA, Three Bridges were
certainly three of them - but I think that was it.

I am not so sure Ashford was one - maybe if so it would have been much
extended. ISTR Ashford was older, resignalled under Kent Coast Phase
II, and like Eastleigh and Basingstoke and other 1960s boxes pre-dated
the 13 box scheme, and replaced by a new one/s or the equipment/s
supplanted. Then what went into Ashford was - by the time it was done
- was no longer part of the 13 box scheme.

I was under the impression that Basingstoke was one of the 13, hence the
elimination of the Southampton boxes about 1980.

sneaky plug

For a touch of LSWR/SR nostalgia my Southampton signal box pages are at
http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail/sigbox/sigbox.htm

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.