Old October 22nd 03, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Brompton Folding Bike on Tubes

In article , Paul Weaver
writes
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:12:23 +0000, Tom Sutch wrote:
Be confident, know that you are right, and if that doesn't work just put it
in a bag before entering the network. It's then just luggage and there are
no rules (save common sense) about that.

As a Brompton in its cover isn't obviously a bike at all; it just looks
like a large "something". I've never actually taken mine on a tube
train (though I've always *meant* to) but I'd certainly cover it, if
only to avoid getting such stick from passengers (and staff,
apparently!).

(That said, I did once get asked to leave a Midland Metro tram with mine
but they relented when I started quoting the rules to them *and*
produced a paper copy of an e-mail from customer services confirming
that folding bikes were permitted. It was quite funny, actually!)

What would they do with a person with a real bike? Aside from stopping at
the gates (Most LU staff I've seen are too busy gossiping to notice),
what would they do?

As for luggage. Take a real bike, wrap a sheet round it and call it a
suitcase, what's the difference?

Ahem! Are you implying by any chance that a Brompton is not a "real"
bike?! ;-)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for