Old April 5th 07, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default 0207 222 1234

In message , John Rowland
writes

Incidentally, the other day I saw a newspaper aimed at Chinese people in
England. On the front page were the phone numbers for the various editorial
departments.... all of them had the area code 0207, except for the
complaints department, which had the code 0171. It reminded me of the
excellent advert about the Carlsberg complaints department.

And I wonder if that might be the crux of all the confusion over the
past few years - sheer laziness?

Instead of sorting out published numbers properly as they should be,
organisations large and small have just cut'n'pasted 0207 over instances
of 0171 and 0208 over 0181, therefore perpetuating the myth, and which
has subsequently been used for other numbers.