Old April 16th 07, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Londoncityslicker Londoncityslicker is offline

Default Renting a smart car

On 15 Apr, 21:42, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
John Rowland wrote
[...]

As you are expected to pay for the petrol that you
use from the car I don't see how this comparison is valid.

Okay. The "5 pounds for 75 miles" bit fooled me. If they expect you

to pay
for petrol, I don't see why they charge you extra for more than 75

miles per
day.

Pay for mileage or excess mileage has been a option on car rental since
the year dot (except on very small islands where petrol may be included
too). I take it that the higher the mileage the lower the price when
they sell on their cars.

--
Mike D

Sixti have particularly keen pricing anyhow. And even better if you
drive the Smart for a fiver.
Of course you have to be a little organised and book in advance or
choose quiet days to get the cheap deal.
Don't expect bank holiday weekends to be a fiver.
But even when prices are higher it's hard to beat. "Most" hire places
(large chains or small outfits) will charge upwards of £40 plus for a
small car. (Smarts may be less).
Downside are the limited locations

I found the streetcar idea great. Having lots of locations is it's
plus point. Plus you can use it by the hour.
But put off slightly by the upfront £150 deposit before driving
anything. Couldn't they just take a credit card number to guarantee
it?