Old October 22nd 03, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Graham Hick Graham Hick is offline

Default Help!!!! What happens now! Buying ticket from ticket tout

Mike Harrison wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:19:27 +0100, . wrote:

Hi all,
A friend of mine was on a London bus and a revenue inspector got on.
The Revenue Inspector asked my friend "What station did you buy this
travelcard from". The revenue inspector also asked "How much did you
pay for this ticket"

It was £5.10 and they said that they paid around £6 at the time.
The revenue inspector said that this was the wrong amount.
Also they didn't give him the correct answer as to where they bought
it.

He has my friend's address and he said he will report them to London
Transport.

This happened to me a few years ago. The bit about the revenue inspector
not believing where the ticket was bought or how much it cost. The
difference being that my ticket was a legitimate Annual Travelcard for
zones 1-3. Actually a corporate "season ticket loan" meaning my employer
buys it and I pay them back for it.

This was about 2am on a night bus, therefore my faculties were not at
their best and I was off by 50 quid or so when he asked how much I'd paid
for it. However I was correct in telling him that it was purchased from
Liverpool Street but he wouldn't believe that - not sure why.

He took my name & address and said I'd have to leave the bus at the next
stop - until he looked at the back of the ticket and saw my employer's
name rubber-stamped on the back with my name written in ink inside it...

A bit of a scary moment, but I figured that if he threw me off the bus
I could (a) wait for the next one and (b) file an official compliant
about him - knowing that my ticket was 100% valid.