Old April 20th 07, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Grippers and Oysters

On 20 Apr, 00:15, "Toby" wrote:

Well, Blackhorse Road has gates, but it is also a Victoria Line station (and
many people alight from NLL services there every am peak). I noticed that
Leytonstone High Road station has no ticketing facilities whatsoever - no
ticket machine, no permit-to-travel machine (that I could notice) and no
guard to sell tickets on train (although guard present in rear cab). What
does he/she do all day in the rear cab?

Maybe "keithy" can confirm, but AIUI he controls the doors, rings the
bell, and is in charge of passengers if there's an emergency. This is
a non-trivial task on Silverlink, since there's a station every two
minutes or so. Whether it's necessary or whether OPO plus station
manning would be more sensible is another question...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org