Old April 26th 07, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rev. CMOT TMPV Rev. CMOT TMPV is offline

Default Trivial escalator question

Once upon a time -- around about 4/26/07 11:14 --
possibly wrote:

I could spend my spare time reading an improving book. Instead I find
myself wondering why do some escalators have the handrail running
slightly faster than the steps? I've noticed this on and off over the
years, and currently am most aware of it on the Jubilee line
escalators at Westminster. If you step onto the escalator at the
bottom and keep holding the rail, then by the time you reach the top
your arm has been pulled about 18 inches forwards relative to the rest
of your body!

Assuming the same motor drives both the handrail and the steps, I
would have thought it takes some quite complex engineering to achieve
this feat. Why???

DAMN! I thought I was the only one who had these odd thoughts. Nice
question

--
"Even a fool knows that you can't touch the stars, but that doesn't stop a
wise man from trying." -- Harry Anderson