Old April 27th 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthias Wirtz Matthias Wirtz is offline

Default Trivial escalator question

"michael adams" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Assuming the same motor drives both the handrail and the steps, I
would have thought it takes some quite complex engineering to achieve
this feat. Why???

Presumably because the handrail follows a larger radius than the steps,
and thus has a larger circumferance, and so travels a greater distance
for each rotation of the motor.

That sounds logical. But why would the manufacture not use the exact radius
so that there is no difference in speed between handrail and steps. Why do
they use a slightly lager radius so that the handrail is a tiny bit faster,
never slower than the steps.

I experienced the same thing at different locations. And now I'm asking my
self if the load on the steps might be the problem. If there are a lot of
people standing on the escalator they might cause a little bit a slippage in
the transmission between steps and engine while the load on the handrail
keeps pretty much the same.
--
Matthias Wirtz - Karlsruhe, DE