Old May 1st 07, 02:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David of Broadway David of Broadway is offline

Default Zone 2-3 Travelcard. Charging Question.

Mr Thant wrote:
On 30 Apr, 19:39, David of Broadway
wrote:
It's illogical to reduce the cost of a single trip from £3.50 or £2.00
to £1.80 or £1.00? It's one extra transfer and only a few extra minutes.

TfL aren't interested in enforcing routings. Therefore all journeys
are assumed to be by the most logical route, and charged accordingly.

But in this particular case (NHG to Acton Town moreso than NHG to
Heathrow), I would argue that the Ealing Broadway routing is the more
logical one, given the fare differential. The time differential is minimal.

It's also a roundabout way of making sure orbital journeys are charged
proportionally to their length (ie long journeys are assumed via Z1 so
cost more), which would otherwise be impossible with radial zones.

Interesting idea, but it doesn't work consistently that way. IINM,
Richmond to Stratford is assumed to be via North London Line, avoiding
Z1. Oh, wait, I just looked it up, and it appears that I'm wrong!
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA