Old May 1st 07, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bill Hayles Bill Hayles is offline

Default LU Stock Transfer Lines

On Tue, 1 May 2007 00:46 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

Hmm. Wasn't the ELL stock at the time the A stock was built the F stock?

Yes, but it had only been there for a few years (since 1953, I believe).

Before that it was first generation District stock (mainly "B") stock -
and maybe others) which worked it from 1937 to 1953, having taken over
from earlier Met stock.

That was pretty close to the A Stock in dimensions wasn't it? I think St.
Mary's Curve was sized for steam stock.

Yes, but the curve was used for regular passenger services until 1939,
and I don't recall there being any restrictions for any stock before the
A stock arrived.

I have been ridden the curve as a passenger twice; once on F stock and
once on Q stock.

There seem to be very few photos around of the ELL between 1913
(electrification) and the F stock days. I don't have a single photo of
electric stock on the line before 1952.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com