Old May 3rd 07, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default LU Stock Transfer Lines

On May 3, 9:07 am, "John Shelley"
wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
MIG wrote:
On Apr 29, 4:25 pm, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message . com,
" writes

snip
(You can also get from the CentralDistrict at Ealing
Broadway, but this has been disused for many years, I tink since
Central line ATO, and I'm not sure if it's deemed available any
more)

Talking of ATO, I think it used to be used for transfer between the
Victoria Line and the ATO Hainault - Woodford section, but I suppose
Ruislip would be just as good for that.

I don't understand - what is "it"/"that"?

I thought the ATO was removed from Woodford Hainault before the Vic
was opened.

I think "it" is the District-Central link at Ealing Broadway and "that" is
transfer of the ATO trains between Victoria line and Central line, but it is
all rather confusing.

According to "The twopenny Tube" by J Graeme Bruce and Desmond F Croome pub
by Capital Transport the Victoria line trains were initially tested on the
Woodford Hainault ATO (Automatic Train Operation) fitted section before
going to the Victoria line. Some remained ther in service use until there
was a demand for them on the Victoria line the last going in September 1984.
The ATO on the Woodford-Hainault line was decommissioned from October 1986.

The Hainault - Woodford section must have stopped running as a shuttle
at that time, with some trains running through from central London to
Woodford via Hainault.

When it was a shuttle, there was generally one unit of 1967 (Victoria
Line) stock based at Hainault at any given time, but they would
rotate, with the transfers taking place via Ealing Broadway.

For some reason, I can only ever remember units from the second order
of 1967 stock (for the Brixton extension) running on the Central. I
can't think of any reason for why that would be.