Old May 3rd 07, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default LU Stock Transfer Lines

On May 3, 10:48 pm, Henry wrote:
Spyke wrote:
Henry wrote:

[W&C]

I've long thought it should be extended to Vauxhall and possibly
Clapham
Junction, to spread the load a bit. There was a discussion about that
here
a long time ago, and I've forgotten why it turned out to be a bad
idea.

The problem with the W&C is that, because of the short trains, it can
get horrendously overcrowded in the peaks (with queues up the ramps at
Waterloo).
This isn't too bad if everyone gets on at one end and gets off at the
other, but if you had an intermediate station, you'd be packing people
onto already full trains with very few getting off.

I like the idea of "stopping" and "fast" services
on the W&C!

More deviously, what about running just Bank-Vauxhall(direct) and
Bank-Waterloo only? Would there be sufficient capacity to
turn more trains at Bank?

The only fix would be to extend the platforms at both stations to fit
proper length trains of 7 or 8 cars.

That would certainly improve the capacity of the line overall.
I'm just wondering whether there could be benefits elsewhere
from separating out suburban and long-distance rail users before
they reach Waterloo.

Hth

Henry-

There are problems with this, to put it mildly. Firstly, the Waterloo
and City didn't have any other tube lines to connect with when it was
built, because it connected the LSWR with the City, for which reason
it comes pretty much to the surface at both ends and would have to
tunnel down again through significant obstructions.

Secondly, it doesn't point anywhere vaguely in the direction of
Vauxhall. It actually points towards Elephant and Castle, so there
would have to be a big loop.