Old May 4th 07, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Zone 2-3 Travelcard. Charging Question.

On Fri, 04 May 2007 15:15:02 +0100, asdf
wrote:

On Fri, 04 May 2007 00:40:54 -0400, David of Broadway wrote:

Interesting idea, but it doesn't work consistently that way. IINM,
Richmond to Stratford is assumed to be via North London Line, avoiding
Z1. Oh, wait, I just looked it up, and it appears that I'm wrong!

Is NLL PAYG now? It's a direct journey, takes about the same ammount
of time as District/Central, it's certainly a issue for complaint if
you were mischarged

Hmmmm. The PAYG issue hadn't occurred to me.

But I'm not sure it matters. Say you have a Z2-6 Travelcard, which you
use to ride the NLL from Richmond to Stratford. When you touch out at
Stratford, will you be charged extra for having traveled through Z1 (as
if you had traveled by Tube)?

Yes.

I very, very much doubt it but I don't know exactly how the gates are
programmed to deal with this in validation terms. The example quoted
involves a Travelcard that is valid at both ends and where there is also
an entirely reasonable direct service that avoids Zone 1. I cannot see
how in that example that TfL could impose a deduction from the PAYG
element on an Oyster card when the passenger holds a valid Z26
travelcard. Clearly there is a "risk" here but it is no different to
prior to Oyster where there were three fares between Stratford or
Highbury to Richmond

1. All LU and zonally priced.
2. Direct via NLL and priced by the TOC.
3. Through LU and NR journey via Z1 terminals that would be a
summated fare.

None of these fares were interavailable and to use a ticket for any
option on the non valid routes would result in a Penalty Fare. The issue
is about detecting the use of such tickets on invalid routes.

There is no way of knowing which route someone took between those two
points unless they opted to travel via Waterloo or Vauxhall and caught
SWT on to Richmond.

From the TfL 2007 fares leaflet:

"Some journeys have been defined as requiring travel via Zone 1 and
will be charged and capped accordingly, irrespective of the actual
route taken."

This applies for journeys undertaken entirely on PAYG.
--
Paul C