Old May 4th 07, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Lawrence Peter Lawrence is offline

Default Why not Kings Cross AND St. Pancras?

On Thu, 03 May 2007 17:22:34 -0000, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Paul Scott:
For the naming, you have to go back to how the move of the Kings Cross
underground station was dealt with in 1941, as the original platforms were
the disused ones alongside the current Kings Cross 'Thameslink'. ...

According to the "London Underground Stations abc" by David Leboff:

1863 "King's Cross", subsurface (old location)
1906 "King's Cross", Piccadilly
1907 "King's Cross for St. Pancras", Northern
1925 "King's Cross & St. Pancras", subsurface station renamed
1927 "King's Cross for St. Pancras", Piccadilly station renamed
1933 "King's Cross St. Pancras", name established for entire station

(Of course the line names I use here are anachronistic.)

Did the (now Thameslink) platforms remain open as 'Kings Cross' when
the new Met station outside St Pancras opened, before they ultimately
closed and reopened with the Thameslink suffix?.

I think they became Kings Cross St Pancras on reopening in 1946 but
changed to Kings Cross later. The suffices Pentonville Road and Old
Met(ropolitan Station) appeared in time tables and possibly on the
entrance. (ISTR this being dtailed here before.)

I would guess so, but I don't know. I recall that the suffix was Midland
before it was Thameslink -- I guess this would have arisen after British
Rail began serving Moorgate from Finsbury Park, but I don't know that
either.

On electrification/reopening of the (now) Thameslink station it was
known as Kings Cross Midland City, the line being designated Midland
City.

--
Peter Lawrence