Old May 18th 07, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Oxford Street Trams - again

In message , Paul Scott
writes

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
. uk...
On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 08:51:42AM -0700, Boltar wrote:
On 16 May, 07:20, Bob wrote:
Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station
Might be a blessing for the arch. Its in a lousy location right now
and since its not in its original location anyway a precedent has
already been set. Perhaps if it is moved the area might revert to its
old name of Tyburn , who knows!

I bet that we'll continue to call the place Marble Arch even after the
arch has gone, in the same way as the Strand wasn't renamed after it was
no longer the riverbank.

Are you saying it wasn't erected there to commemorate the invention of the
game of marbles?

Of course it was. By Lord Elgin, as I recall.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk