Old May 18th 07, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Oxford Street Trams - again

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Fri, 18 May 2007, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Thu, 17 May 2007, Boltar wrote:

On 16 May, 07:20, Bob wrote:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ails/Marble+Ar...
quote Marble Arch may have to give way for a bus station
Might be a blessing for the arch. Its in a lousy location right

It's not so much that the arch is in a lousy location as that
Cumberland Gate is in a lousy location!

and since its not in its original location anyway a precedent has
already been set. Perhaps if it is moved the area might revert to
its old name of Tyburn , who knows!
That would be nice. I am looking for similar schemes to bring the
name Ossulstone back into common use ...

Be good as a solitary world

I assume you mean 'word' here,

I did!

although now you mention it, perhaps campaigning to have the first
British-discovered exoplanet named Ossulstone might be a better and/or
yet more crackpot plan ...

on the DDA-compliant destination screens of buses on - say - the
159.......

Be even funnier if it was the destination of the 100. ;-)

Have to confess that my lack of knowledge of buses means this joke is
completely lost on me :'(.

Sorry, a bit too subtly.

Ossulstone was the name of the "Hundred" which covered what is now
Central London in Mediaeval times. ("Hundreds" were the ancient
subdivisions of counties and usually had names which are totally lost
today. Birmingham was in "Hemlingford, for examples, much of South
Staffordshire "Offlow" and so on.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK