Old May 19th 07, 12:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default What's this then?

On Fri, 18 May 2007 20:00:57 +0100, Dave Newt
wrote:

Dave Newt wrote:

Tristán White wrote:
Yep. you and Dave Newt guessed the location, but still no satisfactory
answer as to its purpose I'm glad to see.

Haven't you seen the other post from pcjs00 in which he says it's to
help escape from a trapdoor in the floor?

If I leave the house early enough (i.e. in the next ten mins) I might
take a detour to have a gander!

Well, I never doubted him, but there is indeed a trapdoor there!

And at a guess it may be for access to the lower machine chambers for
the escalators but probably unlikely as it looks very constrained. The
only other issue is whether it leads to ducts, drains or platform
inverts of some form at Warren St.

The only other idea is whether it is some very old part of the station
if Warren St was at any point a lift only station. I don't know the
history but given the orientation it is possible it might go to a
disused part of the station that was under the bottom of the old lift
shafts.

If I remember and I'm going through the station I might just show my
staff pass and ask the chaps in the little control point at the top of
the Vic Line escalators.
--
Paul C