Old May 19th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Oxford Street Trams - again

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Fri, 18 May 2007, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Fri, 18 May 2007, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Tom
Anderson writes

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Boltar wrote:

Perhaps if it is moved the area might revert to its old name of
Tyburn , who knows!

That would be nice. I am looking for similar schemes to bring the
name Ossulstone back into common use ...
Be good as a solitary world on the DDA-compliant destination
screens of buses on - say - the 159.......
Be even funnier if it was the destination of the 100. ;-)
Have to confess that my lack of knowledge of buses means this joke
is completely lost on me :'(.

Sorry, a bit too subtly.

Ossulstone was the name of the "Hundred"

Oh, i see. Sorry, i was caught up thinking it was something bus-specific!

which covered what is now Central London in Mediaeval times.
("Hundreds" were the ancient subdivisions of counties and usually had
names which are totally lost today. Birmingham was in "Hemlingford,
for examples, much of South Staffordshire "Offlow" and so on.)

Where i grew up, the water board was Tendring Hundred Water, so i am
well familiar with the term. I wonder how many other things named after
hundreds are still around?

Ones that spring to mind as place names in everyday use which were
originally Hundreds a

Wirral (Cheshire)
High Peak (Derbyshire)
Becontree (Essex)