Old May 22nd 07, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Combination Tickets to beat SWT 'before 1100' fare increase ?

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in message

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWT.../Ticket+types/
_changestofares

Before this week's increase a CDR&ODTC (M-F after 0930 One Day Travel
Card) from Walton-on-Thames (3 stops outside the zones) to London cost
10.40 GBP.

The same validity now costs 11.60 (only 10.00 Super Off Peak, ie after
1100)

But SWT say "does not affect travel solely in the London Zonal Fare
area", a CDR from Walton-on-Thames to Surbiton (zone 6) is 3.70 and a
ODTC (1-6) is 6.70 so the total is (3.70+6.70)= 10.40 as above, saving
1.20 a day.

You can buy ODTCs only within the zones but up to 7 days in advance so
you don't necessarily have to get off at Surbiton on the day to buy
even if you want a Railcard-discounted Travelcard.

Any problems with this ?

Other ideas ?

SWT say on their FAQs they have arranged the fares so that combining tickets
doesn't give any benefit - perhaps they have only ensured this for combining
their own tickets, as they don't set the ODTC...

By the way, its interesting that you refer to the 'before 1100' increase. At
my local station, Fareham, the 1020 via Basingstoke is the first train that
I can get with a normal CDR - it is only 15 mins later than 1005, the first
train on which I could previously use my Network Card due to the after 1000
rule. As an occasional traveller to London a Network card is de rigeur -
therefore its not a huge change...

Also - the NR OJP Fare Checker cannot deal with the super off peak fares
yet. I've reported it to NR, and they have replied implying its all too
complicated, as it requires different rules for every SWT station...

Paul