Old October 23rd 03, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nicholas F Hodder Nicholas F Hodder is offline

Default Closure of Liverpool Street this morning

"Richard J." wrote in message
Nicholas F Hodder wrote:
"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:54:33 +0100, "Nicholas F Hodder"
wrote:

Can anyone explain why Liverpool Street tube station was closed
this morning (at least for westbound Central Line trains)?

They said it was because of overcrowding, but when I asked Tube
staff where the overcrowding was, they said it was on the Central
Line platforms. If trains don't stop at the platform, how will
this ease overcrowding? Surely it makes things worse.

I think that a number of routes are under pressure because of the
Northern Line problems and the Vic Line was seriously disrupted at
Oxford Circus yesterday. Liverpool St was closed temporarily to
people entering it. The platforms would be full and believe me when
platforms get completely full the last thing you want is more people
trying to
push onto them while others are trying to get off.

How can others get off if the trains don't stop to let anyone get off?

They *were* stopping, probably. Did someone tell you they weren't, or did
you infer that (incorrectly) from the fact that the station was closed to
people entering it?

Announcements at Bethnal Green, both by station staff and several train
drivers, stated clearly that trains were not stopping at Liverpool Street
because of "overcrowding". I had to wait until the 4th or 5th train before
there was space for me to get on, and just before my train got to Liverpool
Street, the driver announced that the train would be stopping at Liverpool
Street after all, as the station had reopened. When I got out at Liverpool
Street, I asked some Tube staff at surface level where the overcrowding had
been that had necessitated the station's "closure", and he replied that it
was on the Central Line platforms. I do not understand how not letting
trains stop will ease existing overcrowding on the platforms, hence the
reason for my original question.