Old May 30th 07, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Have Oyster cards been hacked yet?

On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:07:13 GMT, Steve wrote:

This will be hacked eventually, but the hard part is not getting caught.
Duplicates and cards with false cash/travelcards will be easy to spot, and

Duplicates you could spot , not sure how you'd spot the fake balance
or period unless the gate communicates with a database containing that
info for every ticket which I don't think it does.

The fake balance would be easy to spot overnight when the transactions are
balanced together, but that would give the user a free day. I don't know
if the main tube readers are linked to the main system, they could be, but
the extra cost of handling a fast transactual system Vs a nightly batch
system might not make it worthwhile.

There'd be no point at all. The most you could "steal" in a single day
would be £12.70 worth of transportation (the Z1-6 peak cap).