Old June 1st 07, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael Hoffman Michael Hoffman is offline

Default London Terminals ticket validity?

stan5001 wrote:
I was travelling from Paddington to Clapham Junction the other day via
the
bakerloo line and Waterloo - and thought I'd buy a ticket for the
Waterloo - Clapham Junction at Paddington to save queuing at Waterloo.

I have an oystercard with pre-pay, so tried the fast-ticket machine
and it offered me a ticket from "London Paddington" to Clapham
Junction for £2.10.

Intrigued, I bought it - applying a Gold Card discount to get it for
£1.40. It stated "London Terminals" to "Clapham Junction", without
the maltese cross...

I tried it in the barriers at the Paddington tube, half expecting it
to be refused, but it
worked. And got me out again at Waterloo.

I've done this a few times now, although it won't work in reverse...

I don't think you should be let into the Tube without the Maltese Cross.
Or by only paying GBP 2.10. NRE lists the cheapest fare for this route
as GBP 5.10, although I think a train-tube fare for zones 12 should only
be GBP 4.10.

I don't know whether the fare is valid via rail only, or what route you
would have to take.

Have I been missing something here, or is this an anomoly?

You've been missing a chance encounter with a ticket inspector.
--
Michael Hoffman