Old June 1st 07, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default London Terminals ticket validity?

"Londoncityslicker" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 1, 9:05 am, stan5001 wrote:
I was travelling from Paddington to Clapham Junction the other day via
the
bakerloo line and Waterloo - and thought I'd buy a ticket for the
Waterloo - Clapham Junction at Paddington to save queuing at Waterloo.

I have an oystercard with pre-pay, so tried the fast-ticket machine
and it offered me a ticket from "London Paddington" to Clapham
Junction for £2.10.

Intrigued, I bought it - applying a Gold Card discount to get it for
£1.40. It stated "London Terminals" to "Clapham Junction", without
the maltese cross...

I tried it in the barriers at the Paddington tube, half expecting it
to be refused, but it
worked. And got me out again at Waterloo.

I've done this a few times now, although it won't work in reverse...

Have I been missing something here, or is this an anomoly?

But the fact that the ticket said London Terminals allows you to use
the tube from any london terminal.
usually it has to have a LT Roundel on it to signify you can do this.

Not correct - a NR ticket from London Terminals to a NR station doesn't
allow travel on tube, bus or DLR, and it isn't valid from _any_ London
Terminal, just those appropriate to the journey, mapped in the NR routeing
guide. I'd wait for the expert view in due course but I suspect the OP's
ticket really only allowed him to walk to, and pick the train up, at either
Victoria or Waterloo, possibly Vauxhall for some strange historic reason.

The LT roundel on a NR issued ticket means it is a Travelcard, the '+' sign,
will only appear on a NR ticket that includes LU transfer across London to
continue your NR journey.

Exactly why particular barriers unexpectedly let you through, and how you
are supposed to know that London Terminals doesn't mean all of them, I'll
leave for others, although no one seemed to answer 'stan5001' when he raised
this on uk.railway originally

Paul S