Old June 5th 07, 11:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Does anyone know where Ranelagh Bridge is?

Mr Thant wrote:
On 5 Jun, 12:12, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Mr 'U Thant's link takes the prize, a detailed planning map that
shows the bridge 'named' unlike most atlases etc...

Thanks, but it's actually on the first page of Google hits, through
I knew to look for the detailed map at the end of those Crossrail
reports, as I'd seen them before.

As it happens, I was on a train from Paddington this afternoon. The
bridge looks Victorian and is low down, level with local roads, so
presumably it dates from long before the A40. The turn and ramp up
to the A40 look quite nasty.

Nasty in what way? The turn is no problem at 20 mph (and by the time
you get there, you'll be used to turns!), and the ramp is not
particularly steep.

Before Westway was built, the bridge used to connect with Harrow Road.
It's called Ranelagh Road on my 1956 Bartholomew street atlas.
--
Richard J.