Old June 6th 07, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Does anyone know where Ranelagh Bridge is?

John Rowland wrote:
Barry Salter wrote:
wrote:

Anyway I've no intention of voluenteering to find out. Going from
Marble Arch I shall be taking a long, boring but safe loop via
Edgware Road, St Johns wood Road, Park Road and Baker Street
before turning right onto the Westway.

Looking at the map showing the extended CC Zone, and comparing it
with Multimap, suggests that you'd need to do Marble Arch -
Edgware Road - Sussex Gardens - Sale Place - Praed Street -
Eastbourne Terrace - Bishops Bridge Road - Westbourne Terrace -
Orsett Terrace - Gloucester Terrace - Ranelagh Bridge - Westway to
avoid the CC, which is a lot of messing about!

Praed St is eastbound-only from Norfolk Place to Edgware Road, so
you can't reach the 2-way part of Praed St from the east without
paying the CC charge. In fact, I have no idea why Praed St west of
Sale Place is excluded from the CC zone, since you can't really use
it to get to or from Paddington.

You can conveniently use it eastbound to leave Paddington to get to the
Edgware Road - Park Lane free route across the CC zone, or to join the
Marylebone Road eastbound.

The correct CC-free route from Marble Arch to Westway is Edgware
Road - Harrow Road - Bishops Bridge Road - Westbourne Terrace -
Orsett Terrace - Gloucester Terrace - Ranelagh Bridge - Westway.
Even if you were exempt from the CC charge, this is shorter and
faster than any route passing to the immediate south of Paddington.

Or alternatively: Marble Arch - Edgware Road - Sussex Gardens - Sale
Place - Praed Street (eastbound) - Chapel Street - Old Marylebone Road,
and sharp left into Marylebone Road westbound (a useful but curiously
unsignposted way of joining the westbound A40), then over the flyover on
to Westway.
--
Richard J.