Old June 8th 07, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default El sections of LU

"Recliner" wrote in message
"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Mr Thant wrote:
On Jun 8, 8:18 am, PhilD wrote:
Well, what DOES it mean?

An el is a line built high above ground level as a way to get past
existing roads and structures without tunnelling or too much
demolition.

In other words, an elevated section - so why not use the word
'elevated' instead of a term that nobody's heard of?

Is the OP from the USA? - their 'El's (for it is a normal american
abbreviated usage) are typically those lines that go down the middle
of the street on a girderwork viaduct at about 2nd floor level, with
roads underneath - I cant think of anything at all like that in the
LU system.

Except, as mentioned by another poster, some parts of the original DLR (if
you regard it as part of the LU system).

I follow the example of TfL, they don't really consider it as part of the
London Underground 'system'. However would agree that parts of the DLR are
probably nearer to the American style El, certainly more relevant than
traditional arched brick viaducts as used all over the London area.

Paul