Old June 9th 07, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Oyster Travelcard & National Rail

"ocoro02" wrote in message
news

Thanks for the speedy answers!

And here's my main point of confusion - and the reason why I'm more
interested in using Oyster than using a paper ticket purchased from SW
Trains. I already have a PAYG Oyster card, so I took a look at adding
a travelcard on my card through Oyster's website. When ordering a
travelcard it specifically asks for 'start zone' and 'end zone'.
Whereas with a paper ticket I know from experience that they'll require
the ticket to cover all zones the journey will pass through, with Oyster
they seem to be disregarding any zones outside of those contained within
the start/end points. Which obviously makes it cheaper for me - by about
150 pounds per year as well (price is same if I include zone 2 for the
via Clapham route, or zone 6 via Kingston). From my point of view I
only want to get from A to B without getting off in between, and the
route they choose to take me is of no consequence to me. Well that's
what I'll argue in court anyhow!

You have to weigh up the different probabilities of having your Oyster Card
checked on an underground train 'en route' while outside your zones - or on
a SWT train outside your zones. LU pretty low - SWT pretty high - you'd be
into penalty fare territory pretty quickly, I should think...

Paul