Old June 10th 07, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Oyster Travelcard & National Rail

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 23:53:52 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

You have to weigh up the different probabilities of having your Oyster
Card
checked on an underground train 'en route' while outside your zones - or
on
a SWT train outside your zones. LU pretty low - SWT pretty high - you'd be
into penalty fare territory pretty quickly, I should think...

On LUL it wouldn't be PF territory, as the PAYG system makes certain
assumptions about journeys very likely to have gone via Zone 1, and
would just charge you a PAYG add-on to cover Zone 1 every time it
thinks you've crossed it.

On SWT, of course, where PAYG is not valid, it would be a PF.

Thats what I meant to imply, PF in hte SWT case only, but the 'automatic
extension with the PAYG balance' only works if someone touches in or out
'off route' doesn't it?

How do LU deal with someone who has for instance a travelcard season for
zones 1 and 2 only, but who actually travels from an ungated station out in
the sticks somewhere, so he only ever touches in or out to open the gates at
the central London end of the journey?

Paul