Old June 10th 07, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Oyster Travelcard & National Rail

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 12:45:34 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 12:49:47 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

How do LU deal with someone who has for instance a travelcard season for
zones 1 and 2 only, but who actually travels from an ungated station out in
the sticks somewhere, so he only ever touches in or out to open the gates at
the central London end of the journey?

Interesting one. I would imagine that random checks would catch such
a person out eventually.

An easier way to solve it would be to make touching in/out mandatory
for all Oyster holders regardless of the type of ticket held, rather
than just for PAYG. I'm surprised, in general, that that approach has
not been taken.

It would be unenforceable and potentially dangerous at those places
where there is open, cross platform interchange between NR and LU. These
locations are impossible to gate - hence why there aren't any - and it
is not practical to install huge quantities of validators in order to
make validation "convenient". What would be the consequence to
Travelcard holders if they did not validate? I cannot see a form of
"penalty" being accepted by holders of Travelcards given how long the
product has been in place. Apart from some possible revenue loss on the
basis you postulate what does TfL lose apart from some card and usage
data?

There are ways in which the usage suggested by Mr Scott can easily be
detected and dealt with if it is deemed worthwhile.
--
Paul C