Old June 10th 07, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Wheatley Ken Wheatley is offline

Default CYCLISTS THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO GET INJURED ON BENDY BUS ROUTE- POPE

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 02:48 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

This is from a London Assembly Liberal Democrats' press release. It
accords with my own experiences:

(Snipped)

The OP quoted a statement by a politician that lacked any context,
explanation or qualification.

It claims that injuries to cyclists (and pedestrians) are higher on
bendibus routes, and suggested that we infer that the higher rates are
caused by the bendibuses. It does not, however, say that buses were
actually involved in these accidents. Without this and other
information it is meaningless.

Bendibuses are used on the busiest roads. You would expect those roads
to higher accident rates. To suggest that the buses are the cause,
however, requires a littles more work.

For example, have the rates of other vehicular traffic been taken into
account? Have similarly busy roads that lack bendibuses been studied?

Pace, Colin. I know from your postings on this and other NGs that you
are not one to jump to rash conclusions. But the statement is hardly
rigorous. I really can't tell if there's anything to this, or not. But
you do have some anecdotal experience, which I lack.

Have you anything which could be considered statistical or scientific?