Old June 13th 07, 05:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster Travelcard & National Rail

On Jun 12, 10:22 pm, David Jackman wrote:
(Neil Williams) wrote :

An easier way to solve it would be to make touching in/out mandatory
for all Oyster holders regardless of the type of ticket held, rather
than just for PAYG. I'm surprised, in general, that that approach has
not been taken.

Neil

There would be (at least) two problems with this:

a) On national rail (where pre-pay is not yet valid) Oyster readers are
often provided at (gated) London Termini but not at suburban stations.

More likely the other way round on SWT, where Waterloo has no gates
but many suburban stations do (not just the ones shared by LU).

b) You may be making a journey beyond the validity of your season ticket
and have bought a paper ticket to cover the extension.

Both create unresolved journeys which are perfectely legitimate (when the
ticket loaded onto Oyster is a travelcard season).

This is already a problem on LU with paper travelcards from NR, but no
provision is made for extensions on LU (as I've complained at length).

David