Old June 14th 07, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Graham Harrison Graham Harrison is offline

Default Northern line near collision

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
What might have happened here then - have the BBC described the incident
correctly, or were the brakes applied by the operation of the tripcock?
Surely the Camden town junctions don't allow trains in opposite directions
to meet, thats the whole point of all the branch tunnels...

Paul

I had the same thought, initially. Then I remembered a map I had seen of
the Camden Town junction. I think you will find that the configuration
simply does not permit two trains into the same tunnel in different
directions. I suspect that what happened is that as one train approached
the merge point another train was alredy occupying the track going in the
same direction but from the "other" branch.