Old June 14th 07, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mystery Flyer Mystery Flyer is offline

Default Northern line near collision

Mr Thant wrote:
On Jun 14, 1:34 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
What might have happened here then - have the BBC described the incident
correctly, or were the brakes applied by the operation of the tripcock?
Surely the Camden town junctions don't allow trains in opposite directions
to meet, thats the whole point of all the branch tunnels...

There's an actual description of what happenned he
http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications/...wn_station.cfm

It implies the driver tried to go southbound when they were meant to
continue north to High Barnet.

Evening Standard says the driver was on train a, with destination a and
was signalled inadvertently into the 'wrong branch' and then asked to
change trains over to train b and continue with it to his original
destination a so the driver walked through the platform interchange but
got in the wrong end and went the wrong way down the tunnel.

I would think changing trains like this is an unusual thing to ask a
driver to do but the bigger question for me is how can a train for
destination a end up in wrong platform/tunnel?

Isnt signalling supposed to make such things impossible? Im quite
ignorant here of the technicalities of the ability of the line
controller to manually over-ride things etc but in my ignorance I
assumed the signalling was all automatic based on some giant
computerised timetable...

Please help me understand (gently though, Im just a passenger)

mysteryflyer