Old June 15th 07, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Christopher A.Lee Christopher A.Lee is offline

Default Northern line near collision

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:02:49 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Christopher A.Lee wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:25:02 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Kev wrote:

Something doesn't ring true here. I am an occassional user of Camden
but I think that even I would know which platform I was on and if I
was about set off in the wrong direction. Some how a driver gets out
of a train in the Edgware platform but then gets in the back of a
train in the HB platform and drives off SB. Wouldn't he have noticed
something odd about the directions he took on foot. We are not
talking a non underground savvy tourist here.

He might never set foot on the station.

However he would have known the platforms from the cab.

Passengers who use the station know that the northbound platforms are at the
same depth as each other, and the southbound platforms are at the same depth
as each other. I don't expect a driver would necessarily know that.

That's not what I meant.

He would have seen all the platforms from the cab ever since he had
been driving on the Northern Line. Even if he did not know the details
the same way a passenger would, by the time he got into the wrong cab
he should have known something was wrong because it didn't look like
what he expected to see.

There have been suggestions it could have been a shunting move, which
doesn't make sense unless both trains were being reversed, which is
possible if the previous blocks on each route to the rear were clear.
But they weren't.

And in any case, shouldn't this require some kind of wrong line order?
The signalling certainly doesn't permit this.

It's my guess he was disoriented and confused. Especially if the
subway took him to that end of the train. But he should have realised
when he didn't see what he would have expected.